Carl Nees

Shop Foreman, Superintendent

Born: September 13, 1889, Charlottesville, Virginia

Died: February 22, 1950, Ablemarle County, Virginia

Dates of Service: 1910-1913, 1915-1948

Charles William Nees, Jr., more commonly called "Carl," was born in Charlottesville, Virginia, to Charles Nees, Sr. and Arabella Omohundro. His father was the son of German immigrants and a farm laborer. His mother was a native Virginian and had been married before, to Teodor Wohlbruck, who had died. Nees had several half-siblings from his mother's first marriage. His uncle was folk hero, actor, and friend of Buffalo Bill Cody, "Texas Jack" Omohundro.

By 1900, Nees lived in Kenilworth (then part of Cranford and Union townships). He hired on with the Rahway Valley Railroad on June 20, 1910, as a brakeman. He was made fireman on September 4, 1912, and stayed in that position until June 1, 1913. Nees left the RV for a two year stint on the Central Railroad of New Jersey as a brakeman. He returned on December 16, 1915, as a fireman, but was promoted to engineer during the wartime rush on April 2, 1916, running the day freight out of Kenilworth. During the war, as engineer, Nees handled cars loaded with ammunition shells at the American Can Co. facility in Kenilworth. As many as eighty cars a day were handled. He alternated as fireman and engineer through October 2, 1922, when he was made Shop Foreman or "Master Mechanic." Eventually, he also gained the title of Superintendent.

Nees married Miss Helen Dembke of Brooklyn, New York, in 1923. Together, they had a son, John Sharon Nees, who was born in 1931; his parents called him "Sharon." For years, the Nees family lived at 601 Orange Ave. in Cranford. The younger Nees, who George Clark called "Poopdeck," would spend his summer recesses from school with his father, assisting him in the shop.

Helen, Carl, and Sharon Nees, enjoying dinner at their Cranford home. (Richard D. Fullerton Photo)

In the shop, Nees had an assistant and was equipped to undertake any light repairs. Complete overhauls were typically completed at the CNJ shops at Elizabethport. Nees was always ready to "double-up" in case of emergency. The illness or lay off of the regular engineer or track foreman automatically drafted Nees into service. Ordinarily, Nees spent two weeks per year running the engines while the regular engineer, Frank Froat, took a vacation. 

Carl and Sharon Nees. (Richard D. Fullerton)

Nees was alternatively referred to as "Master Maniac" or "Cadillac," for his taste in automobiles, by his coworkers.

In mid-1948, Nees took ill with a very serious heart condition. He retired from railroading in October 1948, to raise beef cattle on a farm in Scottsville, Virginia. In deference to his years of service to the company, Nees had his salary continued through the end of 1948. 

Nees died of a heart attack on February 22, 1950, at the age of sixty. He is buried in Scottsville Cemetery, in Scottsville, Virginia.

Service Record

Brakeman, June 30, 1910 to September 4, 1912

Fireman, September 4, 1912 to June 1, 1913

Fireman, December 16, 1915 to March 28, 1916

Engineer, April 2, 1916 to July 9, 1917

Fireman, July 9, 1917 to November 1, 1917

Engineer, November 1, 1917 to March 7, 1919

Fireman, March 7, 1919 to April 8, 1919

Engineer, April 8, 1919 to October 2, 1922

Shop Foreman, October 2, 1922 to 1948