FAITOUTE AVE.
Proceeding westbound, the mainline crossed W. Colfax Ave. and entered the Borough of Kenilworth. The mainline rounded a curved and proceeded in a generally eastward direction. The tracks crossed Faitoute Ave. and S. Michigan Ave. Faitoute Ave. had served as a flag stop for passenger trains until it was supplanted by S. Michigan Ave. in 1903. Between the two crossings, there was a very small coal yard with a short siding.
Points of Interest
Facilities:
Trolley Line Crossing
Industrial Sidings
Grade Crossings:
Faitoute Ave.
S. Michigan Ave.
Industries:
Karlik Brothers Coal Co.
Trolley Line Crossing
The RV crossed the Kenilworth Car Line of the Public Service trolley system with a diamond crossing at S. Michigan Ave. The trolley line extended between Westfield Ave. & Grand Street in Aldene and the Boulevard & 20th Street in Kenilworth. The line operated between March 1907 and June 1924, which cut into the RV's passenger revenues.
Industrial Sidings
MP 0.83 - There was a short siding located here; it was constructed in 1932 and removed between April 4 and 5, 1950. It was 150 feet long. The switch stand was a Ramapo #17 with a target. The siding was for Karlik Brothers Coal Co.
Faitoute Ave.
Faitoute Ave. (MP 0.83). One track (main), plank crossing, dirt road, vehicular traffi light. 1 P. U. sign (description from 1944). This crossing was listed as a flag stop in passenger train schedules from 1901 and 1902.
S. Michigan Ave.
S. Michigan Ave. (MP 0.87). One track (main), plank crossing, asphalt road with concrete, vehicular traffic heavy, 2 P. U. signs (description from 1944). This crossing was listed as a flag stop in passenger train schedules from 1903 onwards, replacing the Faitoute Ave. stop. It was about that time that S. Michigan Ave. was constructed between Faitoute Ave. and Boulevard.
Industries
Karlik Brothers Coal Co. (Lyle B. Reeb) (1932-1979)
323 S. Michigan Ave., Kenilworth
Fuel yard; inbound coal
This small coal yard was owned and operated by John R. Karlik (1914-1996) and Stephen Karlik. Their siding could only accommodate a single car; it was removed in 1950. John Karlik operated the coal yard until his retirement in 1979.